Pages

Monday, February 10, 2020

A Ride to El Centro, California

Sunday, February 9, 2020

We got up to beautiful blue skies and a few clouds gracing the sky this morning. We enjoyed our coffee and blueberry muffins I made last night before getting ready to head towards El Centro for Mass and some shopping. We wanted to check out the Costco and see what else is there. We were pleasantly surprised to find out there are several grocery stores in the area, plus other shopping, and what sounds like several good restaurants. If we are in this area we would definitely go back there. The Costco was a nice one and we were able to stock up on a couple of things.


This was the view as I stepped out of the Stinger "B" this
morning. I think the clouds extended the never ending view.


We did make one stop at the Rest Area just west of here on I-8 to get rid of our garbage. It is convenient and they have several dumpsters available. There is, also, water there but no signs saying whether or not it is potable. Not knowing we hate to put it in our fresh water tank it would be nice to have that information. I have checked the internet, googled, for the information with no luck.


Driving by the Imperial Dunes.
I know I have said it before but this is what we thought
the desert was going to look like. 

The All American Canal
Part of the Imperial Irrigation System

The dunes and the sands are beautiful.
Little white dots in the distance are rigs parked out
where they can enjoy riding in the dunes with their ATV's.
(Honestly, though, we are glad this is not what the desert
is like where we park. Pretty sure the wind and sand would
not be much fun on a daily basis.)

Passing beautiful green fields filled with crops.

Ahead mountains with clouds sitting on the top.
At least that is what I think it is.


Just before this there was a sign that said, High Winds Area.
We wondered if these are planted in the median to help buffer
the wind. Regardless, it was a beautiful green section.

St. Mary's Catholic Church in El Centro.
It is a small church. We were a few minutes late and
ended up sitting in the entry way, which was surprisingly large,
with several others. Since, there is a television to watch mass
 on, several benches, and chairs readily available I would guess
this is not an unusual occurrence here for Sunday Mass.


We finished our shopping. Then had a late lunch at a Restaurant called, Burgers and Beer. Large selection of burgers,which we both had, and several other selections were available. The hamburgers were good and we would go back. I would say by the number of people there a lot of others are in agreement. Obviously, as I do most of the time at meals, I did not take any pictures but the hamburgers not only tasted good they looked good, also.


Going East on I-8 we are headed back to the Stinger "B".

Passing by more beautiful green fields.


Not sure about the black but something was growing there.

Made a stop to check out the Hot Springs LTVA near Holtville.
By the looks of the number of rigs parked here
 it is a popular place. 

Took another exit and could see the wall to the south.

More of what was on the south side.

Took a short ride on the north side but did not go far.
It is a fee area with lots of rigs and ATV's parked
in the Imperial Dunes.

Did see the All American Canal back there.

Back on I-8 we could see the Border Patrol parked
up a small hill. We could, also, see surveillance equipment.  

As you can see the wall is fairly close to I-8 here.


Another picture of the All American Canal.


No reason except I really liked the look of this tree

and this one.

I wonder if the Jeep is singing, "Me and My Shadow"?

When we got back I took these two pictures of the sun
still above the horizon.

Really liked them both.

A little later I took a walk around our spot

and took these pictures 

of the soft pink afterglow lighting up some of the clouds.

Then to the west where the sun had set it is a soft grey/blue
 tonight. It makes everything look soft, quiet, and restful.


It was an enjoyable day!








We are glad you stopped by!
If you have time to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

10 comments:

  1. We too were delighted with the town of El Centro when we visited last year and thought we would be back some day for more exploring. Looks like you picked a beautiful day for your visit. On a windy day the sand dunes blow sand onto the road making travel a bit challenging and not good for your air filter on your car, we learned the hard way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning about the air filter...:) It was a beautiful day.

      Delete
  2. Sure is pretty out that way. Funny, we also thought the entire desert would look like Imperial Sand Dunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree it is pretty out here.
      I blame the movies for the fact that we thought the desert was only sand...lol

      Delete
  3. I thought you folks showed me a jug of water that you got at the I-8 rest area. We were parked at the 'weird cell reception' area at the time you showed it to me. Maybe I was mistaken.
    Great photos. I love the first tree photo. Treebeard in Lord of the Rings comes to mind when I see that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are right we did. Then I did a little research and found out that just because the water is clear that does not mean it is potable. The bacteria and impurities that contaminate water cannot be seen and do not have a smell. Though, I keep thinking if it was not potable then they would have a warning sign. So I am still checking...:)
      After hearing what you said about the tree Tom agreed with you. I just loved the look of the tree.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it interesting how many cool things you can find in the desert!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lovely day! Nice to get out and just drive sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is nice to just take a ride once and a while.

      Delete