Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Pointed East (Two Travel Days)


Saturday, February 15, 2020

So today we reluctantly pointed the nose of the Stinger "B" east. It hardly seems possible that we left Escanaba on October 5th, Michigan on October 7th, and now four months later we are starting the slow trek east. Very, very slowly as we will be in Arizona until the 28th of February but east we are headed. We have thirty-seven days to make it to our destination in South Carolina so it will be a slow journey and we plan on enjoying every mile.


Sitting out and enjoying our coffee while looking

around at the views for the last time.

A closer look through my zoom lens.

I was watching the hummingbirds and by this time Tom was

putting things away around me. 

Just after this picture Tom said, we are ready lets go.


Can I just say this is the least ready we have ever been in the morning on a travel day.  I really wanted to stay one more day but that would have meant close to a seven hour travel day on Sunday. So today's destination was the Holt Shell Station in Gila Bend which was about three hours and the only goal was to get there before dark. So we just took our time and it was close to two o'clock when we pulled out of our spot.


We are really on our way

and

East we are bound.

Waiting in line
to be waved through the Border Patrol Check Point.

Then we are headed through Telegraph Pass

and there are lovely yellow wildflowers
along the side of the road.

It is a pretty ride 

through here

and then the views open up to the mountains in the distance

with the beautiful green fields in the front.

Things have flattened out

and this will be our view 

for most of the ride.

Then off in the distance we can again 

see Saguaros.

Then just before our turn there are fields of green.

Our exit and we are

home for the night. The Holt Shell Station in Gila Bend.




One more picture of my roses.
We had forgotten to exchange cards.
So this picture is mostly for me...LOL



Sunday, February 16, 2020

Up and moving with the sun we again just took our time. Today our destination is the Quail Ridge RV Resort in Huachuca City.



But first the mandatory picture of
 the metal dinosaurs for the grandkids. 

While I walked around and took a few pictures Tom
added diesel to the Stinger "B".

Heading back to I-8 and

as we turn onto the Interstate the views in the distance

are wonderful. 

Then we are driving through the Sonoran Desert National
Monument.  Going through here you look in any direction
and what you see as far as you can see are Saguaros.

There are even a few Ocotillos.
I did not know it when I took this picture but this will
probably be the last Ocotillo I will see that is green.




Driving down the Interstates we see a lot of semi trailers
beautifully painted. Today when this one passed I actually
was holding my camera.
A special tribute!

We stopped a few miles down the road and
this was our breakfast view.

This guy looks like he is waving as we go by.

Then the Saguaros disappear and green fields can be seen

until just before we leave I-8 and merge onto I-10 and
there they are again.

We have merged onto I-10 and are headed towards Tucson.

I do like how they decorate their overpasses.
I think I have taken the bottom left one every time we
have driven through going East.

Driving through Tucson watching and watching
 I still missed the city limits sign.

We are now east of Tucson and the scenery has changed.

The Bee Line Tours passed us...😉

Then we spot our turn.

We are on AZ-90 heading South

and we can see the Huachuca Mountains in the distance.
Looks like snow on the peaks. We could also see the
Tethered Aerostat Radar System floating over the mountains.
It is just a very tiny dot in the picture.

Quite a few motorcycles passed us today.

Turning right onto AZ-82 there it is, Quail Ridge RV Resort
home for the next twelve days.

Having heard this barbecue is delicious we are hoping
to sample some while we are here.

The Stinger "B" is parked and we are ready to enjoy our
time in this park.


Monday, February 17, 2020


I left later in the day and headed over to Sierra Vista to do some grocery shopping the sun set while I was in Walmart but I did stop and catch the afterglow on my way back to Quail Ridge.






Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Today we will be picking up my sister, Chris, at the airport in Tucson. She is going to be spending a week with us. One of the main reasons we have stopped here for these twelve days. Something tells me the time will be filled with sightseeing, shopping, talking, and laughing. It will be a  busy time. Now, if you read this blog, you know I do disappear for periods of time and this next week will be one of those times. Until next week we hope everyone continues to have fun and it you are traveling, travel safe.

Take care!









We are glad you stopped by!
If you have time to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

17 comments:

  1. Seeing pictures of that drive never grows old. I love that it is so green there this time of year. Hope you have a great time with your sister. See you next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never get tired of that drive and seeing all those Saguaros.

      Delete
  2. Having family around is a good reason to disappear from blogkand for awhile. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love those Imperial Dunes down there on Ogilby Road. They are so inspiring with a camera in hand. A very nice drive, always interesting to see the sights rolling by outside the window. I've found the Tucson city limit signs are quite far outside of what we would consider the city to be. I think that may be for tax purposes. Haha.
    Enjoy the time with your sister, laugh, eat, drink and merry!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time with my sister.
      We have found that the city limit signs for most of the cities in Arizona are no where near the cities and we have thought the same thing, tax purposes...LOL

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful drive. Lovely pictures.
    Enjoy your time at Quail Ridge with your sister this coming week. It is a fun area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do agree it is a beautiful drive and this is a fun area.

      Delete
  5. I waved as you went by!! Have some of that bbq for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have an awesome time with your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm finally catching up on blogs. You've seen some pretty country. Hope you have a great time with your sister. You picked a great spot to show her the sights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean I will be catching up for awhile. We did have a great time and she seemed to enjoy this area.

      Delete
  8. Hi, Tom & Deb. I've enjoyed discovering your blog with its many excellent pictures, particularly of Arizona, where I live. In March of 2018, you were in Ajo, Arizona, and you posted several pics of the Ajo Memory Project. I'm currently building a website for To-Ree-Nee Wolf, the artist who created many sections of the art there, and I'd like to include some of your pics #12 through #25, if I may have your permission to do so. I will credit you, of course. Please contact me: byars.bob@gmail.com or 520-891-3981. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was an awesome piece of photo blog capturing the minutest of the details on the pass. The slow journey was quite effective indeed. The photo feeds of saguros and the decorated overpasses were impressive.These might be a normal piece of information for the residents but its quite interesting for the outsiders like us. Great going Tom and Deb! Keep entertaining us with interesting feeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no need to rush. I could feel I am travelling around as I read your post. It is a compelling write up detailing the trip. I have never done such a thing in life and am wondering how it really could feel. I love to see you reach South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete