Pages

Friday, January 22, 2021

Two Days and Two Walks

 Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Clouds filled the sky when we first opened the shades this morning. As the day progressed we saw more blue sky but by evening we could hear the pitter/patter of rain on the roof and it continued on and off throughout the night. The desert needs the water and I keep hoping to see little green leaves on the Ocotillo, so no complaints


After lunch I stepped out and took a few pictures 
looking out from where we are parked. 




This picture and the next several pictures
are from a walk I took just after lunch.

Always enjoy seeing puddles in the desert after a rain.



The blue sky really was trying to make an appearance.
Our country's flag is flying on a lot of rigs out here.


There are a lot of small washes out here
 and I stepped over quite a few this afternoon.  



I spend a lot of time looking down as I walk out here as I do
not want to step wrong and land on my knees. The rock above
had water in all its little crevices.
 
From this distance the Stinger "B" looks so clean and shiny.

Sat outside for a while with Tom when I got back 
it was pleasant with sun shining down on us and 
the Stinger "B" blocking the wind.




The sun left the day with a final burst of color. 


Thursday, January 21, 2021

Even though we could here rain on and off over night and early this morning today we opened the shades to blue skies and a few fluffy white clouds.

 

The Ocotillo are presently grey sticks 
but in my view still beautiful.



I realized rather quickly when I was going through my pictures I took several of Saguaros that are dying or obviously dead. It always makes me sad to see things that have died or in bad shape as I walk in the desert but the realization is it is all part of the cycle of life and needs to be accepted. 




Looking at this one you could see what looked like arms.
I have read they get arms after 75 or 100 years, depending 
on the article. So my first though was, how old was this guy?



The shadow of the Saguaro out our door as the sunsets.





The sun setting behind the mountains  west of us.

One last burst of color as the sun slipped behind the mountain.

Looking towards the southeast.

For the last picture I snapped today I used the "POP" effect.
It certainly does make the colors pop.


We are enjoying our time in this area. It would be nice if it was slightly warmer with less wind but honestly we are not complaining. We have a good amount of sunshine, the temperatures are above freezing, and no snow.  Plus, even with the little bit of rain we have had the dust seems to have settled down a bit. Life is good and we continue to be thankful to be living our Retirement Dream.







We are glad you stopped by!
If you have time to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

14 comments:

  1. Seems to me it's colder than last year at this time. We have snow showers possible again Monday with more rain coming. I don't mind however ... the desert is so dry it really needs a good drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree about the rain the desert really was dry. The rain we have had so far seems to have brought down the dust and I am sure all the plant life is enjoying it. On the other hand not sure snow is the answer...😊

      Delete
  2. Really enjoyed your pictures today, Deb. I know you love the Ocotillo (and I like them too) but the Saguaros are my favourite. It is very sad to see any of them dying. I remember seeing some Saguaros with very narrow bases and I wonder how they are still standing. Even some healthy ones. you reminded me of the wind out there in the Q. Still much better than snow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the Ocotillo. At the same time when we are heading west I am always looking for that first Saguaro and will miss them when we head east again. It is sad to see any of them dying. I wonder the same thing when I see the narrow bases.

      Delete
  3. I am so loving the sound of rain on the roof. But the wind can quit any time. I sure do enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to read you are enjoying the pictures. Thank you for saying so. I agree about the wind, when Tom has to hold the motor home door so it does not fly open past where it should that is not fun.

      Delete
  4. Waking up to a dusting of snow..I know that makes you glad you're where you are! haha. Great pictures! Poor Saguaros..Beautiful sunset picture!! It does really POP! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right we are not missing the snow at all. I always feel bad when I see a Saguaro that is dying. Thanks for saying what you did about the pictures. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures that are really making us wish we were there.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rick. Hoping you are taking your own pictures out here in a few months.

      Delete
  6. Great pictures showing everyone at home what our desert landscape looks like. Enjoyed the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Saguaro photos. Always fascinating and never the same. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never really thought about it before; you are so right about the Saguaros they never are the same. Take care.

      Delete