Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Traveling North to Kingman, Dispatching the Dust, and Purple Hair.

(Clicking on the pictures will open them larger in a new window.)

March 5th & 6th , 2018

We were up early Monday as this was a travel day and we have a couple of things to get done before we head north on 95 connect to I-40 and settle into the Zuni Village RV Park in Kingman. Since, January 4th, except for three days in February when we took advantage of a coupon for a free three day stay at the Fortuna De Oro RV Park in Yuma, we have been dry camping. We will be parked here for a week and unlimited water and electricity will be a welcome luxury. The trade off is no wide open spaces; for this week we are ready to make the trade. While parked here we will be dispatching the dust that has accumulated in every nook and cranny back to the outside. I started yesterday when we arrived and Tom continued the battle today.

I was not much help with today's project; thinking ahead I had an appointment to have my hair done this morning and that is were the Purple Hair comes in. (Though technically she said it is called Violet.) The woman who did it really did a nice job and I am a "happy camper".  Tomorrow, no excuse, I will have to help with the final dispatch of  the dust out the door. We know it is only temporarily gone, we will be back out in the desert next week, but for now it feels wonderful.

The pictures below are from Monday. No pictures were taken today.

Monday's Sunrise.

Leaving Dome Rock BLM the Stinger "B" is on her way.
Tom is stopping to get our propane topped off and I have an errand 
to run, (okay I admit it I am stopping for some purple beads), 
before we meet out at Plomosa Road. 
Then we will hook the Jeep up and head on down the road. 

We have just passed by Parker.


I do not care how many times we take this ride I always love
 seeing the beautiful blue Colorado River.





How many homes can you build or place on a hill overlooking a river?

The long road ahead.

We pulled into the Walmart in Lake Havasu City, where we were pretty
sure we would find a place to park the Stinger "B". Then we took a walk
over to the Social Bean for lunch.

That was Plan B. I cannot remember the name of the restaurant I had found online that we planned on eating at but it was closed and this cute coffee shop was open next door. While there we saw several other couples walk by and then return to do the same thing we did. I did not think to take a picture until only half the soup and sandwich were left. Not my usual lunch but it was very good and that half of the sandwich was dinner. The person who puts in the last puzzle piece gets a free drink.
Hard to tell in the picture but the outside edge was done, Patsy.


The hand only did a shy wave on our way by today.

Does anyone else see a face?

Merging onto I-40

The long flat road ahead.

Coming into Kingman. How could I not take a picture of
The Holy Moses Wash!

We are going up.


One more little section of up

then we are going down.

This exit a couple of turns and we will be home for a week.


We are looking forward to our time here and being able to visit with friends. Plus, on Thursday we will drive back to Lake Havasu City to enjoy the company of other "Yoopers" that have escaped the frozen north.









We feel lucky everyday to be able to say,
we are living our retirement dream!


If you would like to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

14 comments:

  1. What a great post. Love the highway from Parker to Kingman..I always say I won't take pictures but then I do it all over again. How nice you're settled in for a bit. Is that a PA park? Great you're going to meet up with friends! Can't wait to see your hair, Tom's going to have to take a pic of you. I see in your profile pic you have dark hair. Very pretty. Enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always say just a couple of pictures, I have hundreds of that ride back and forth, then we turn a corner and I start clicking...:)
      Yes, it is a PA park; there are two of them here but the other one has month restrictions. It is a well used park but the sites are kept clean. It is our second time staying here.
      I used to have dark brown hair until about two years ago when I said enough is enough and let it go "silver"...lol and decided to add purple for fun.

      Delete
  2. Love Kingman it's ben a few years since we were there, enjoy you time with the Yoopers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a nice area but a little north and a little cooler but we will enjoy our time visiting friends. Plus, the Yooper picnic is always fun.

      Delete
  3. I'm curious to see what you find in Kingman. I always just try to drive through without stopping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are here to visit with friends and "sit". I know they all ride ATV's and enjoy those trails. In the past we have driven up Hualapai Mountain Rd and I believe there are some hikes up there, that was pre-new-knee. We have also driven over to Oatman from here. There is a still inhabited "ghost town", about 20 miles north of here we have checked out in the past. Plus, there is a Route 66 Museum here but we have been there, also. This year I am not sure we will do anything other than sit but then you never know...:)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful drive. Never stopped in Kingman. Nice area I bet. Little cool this morning but going to be a nice week. Enjoy your stay.

    Don't think I would recognize you with purple hair 😕.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive is beautiful between Quartzsite and Lake Havasu City. It gets flatter once you are on I-40 but still some nice views in the distance. Then you drive through some beautiful hills as you skirt Kingman. It is a nice place to relax and we are here to visit friends. It is always colder up here when we visit but we still enjoy it.

      Ha...ha...about the hair...:)

      Delete
  5. Darn! I had a comment typed and my 'free' wifi konked out. :(
    I always love that Parker to Havasu drive. So beautiful.
    We've also only driven through Kingman when staying at Bullhead City.
    I've seen your purple hair so not surprised. violet does describe it better.
    It would take a long time to put that particular puzzle piece in! Glad the border is done first though.
    A peak at the hand is better than none! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ride is beautiful and I must be getting used to it, the actual ride not the beauty, I never said anything to Tom once about staying on the road...lol
      I think the hand knows when we are up this we go by several times and thought a peak is enough for today...:)
      I think she put more of the violet in and it is darker which I am very happy about. It fades over time so I get another look for my money.
      My first thought when I saw the puzzle was, Patsy would be glad they started it right.

      Delete
  6. I was waiting for a picture of you to show us your new doo!!

    The pictures of the drive are fantastic. I love those long views of the road. Like you I enjoy the crisp colours of the water, always makes me feel right at home.

    Enjoy the full hook ups and your visit with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go to the Yooper Picnic in Lake Havasu City tomorrow and I am sure I will get a picture there that shows of the new color...:)

      Sometimes when I am going through pictures I have quite a few of the road ahead. I love how the road goes off into the horizon or when it goes up a mountain and looks like it will drop off into nothingness. Though I am always hoping that is not true...LOL

      Delete
  7. We've never been north of Parker on 95. We jogged into California to get to Bullhead City. Looks like a nice route you took to Kingman. Pretty scenery. I wonder how they come up with the names of the Washes?

    We think we see a dog's face in the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first year we went to the Yooper Picnic we stayed in a Mohave Valley, just south of Bullhead City and took the route through California.
    I often wonder the same thing about the names of the washes...:)

    ReplyDelete