Pages

Friday, December 22, 2023

Puddles and "Little Rivers" in the Desert

Friday, December 22, 2023

The day started cold and damp and as I am writing this tonight it is still cold and damp. We had rain on and off starting this afternoon. At first it was more of a sprinkle then it worked its way to a downpour which filled the washes and dips in the desert floor with water. Throughout the day we could also hear the wind blowing and as I write this it is still with us. It was a day to stay inside and that is what we did. Well, except for the couple of times I ventured out in the rain to take a couple of pictures. Tom, having caught what ever went through our neighborhood mostly slept and is now starting to feel somewhat better. 

As the sun started its path down today we could see a rainbow.
It was a double one but the top was so light the camera on my
phone did not pick it up. It was the second one of the day. 
I missed the first one.

Throughout the day we had blue sky, white clouds, dark grey clouds and rain. Our views of the mountains around us would be filled with shadows and sunlight one minute then dark black with clouds coming down on them in the next minute. When the rain started everything turned grey. Then the desert floor filled with puddles and I could see currents in the washes as they filled. Though, as I mentioned above, I did venture out a couple of times most of the pictures below I took out our windows or standing in the doorway. 

 8:45 AM 


9:20 AM

9:35 AM

10:55 AM

2:00 PM

3:15 PM

5:00 PM

It was about 5:15 when I went out to take a picture of the 
rainbow I could see out the window and I took this of the sun
making its way down. 
Trails of water can be seen in the sunlight.

I went out one last time about 20 minutes later to take these of
the sun setting behind the clouds.

The wash behind us.





Looking East there was some color as the sun set.



Looking towards the Cargo Muchacho Mountains to the
northeast of us as the last of the sunlight leaves our day.


Thursday, December 21, 2023

We had blue skies and sitting in the sun for a few minutes I could feel its warmth. On Wednesday we had Taco Tuesday and made the decision to suspend our "Twelve Days" before Christmas Celebration. Tom came down with whatever is going around and everyone else who has had it is not feeling 100% so it was the best decision for the group at this time. 

I decided to place a curbside order and run in to pick that up and a couple of other things. When I got back Tom and I took the water bladder over to the rest area to get water. When we got back we stood outside with Deb, Ken, and Kim and chatted for a couple of minutes.  That was pretty much our day. 

I sat outside for a few minutes this morning

looking out at these views and thought

about how lucky we are to be parked in this beautiful place.

Coming back from my errands I could see the clouds casting
shadows on the Cargo Muchacho Mountains and the
Ogilby Hills. I turned down the American Girl Mine Road
to take the above pictures.

These two pictures of the Cargo Muchacho Mountains I stopped
and took as I was heading to our home.
Do you see the bow in the top picture?

The top picture I took as we were headed out to get water.
In the top picture do you see the puppy?
The bottom on I took on the way back 
the clouds were a lovely pink.

Thursday's sunset.


These last two have been a little different here in the neighborhood; no Happy Hours but hopefully everyone is on the mend and will soon be 100%. 

As I am finishing up this blog I can again hear the rain coming down outside. Not complaining, I am hoping this rain will encourage the Ocotillos to start sprouting their little green leaves.









We are glad you stopped by!
If you have time to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic pics. It has been an interesting day weather wise, for certain. I’m sure we are all starting to recover. We should be back on our feet any day now.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting day weather wise for sure. Hoping to see the green leaves on the Ocotillos soon...😊

      Delete
  2. Rain out there is so interesting to watch. It is such a rare occurrence,then a torrential down pour, then back to the peace and tranquility of the desertness again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy watching the small washes fill with water when we do get that unusual downpour. When the sun was going down the whole desert floor was sparkling.

      Delete
  3. There's nothing like desert rain. And it makes for the most fabulous sunsets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not the only one with rain puddles around. We are so grateful to have them instead of the white stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain in the desert is not as cold as that white stuff that is for sure...lol

      Delete
  5. Crazy to see desert rain, it is a whole different perspective. Still interesting to see and i love the smell after.
    Beautiful pictures, Deb. Love the rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy. Rain does seem different out here and everything seems to sparkle afterwards. The floor of the desert was so pretty as the sunset.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing pictures of the desert during the rain, it was interesting to see :-) I sure hope you are all feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Everyone does seem to be on the mend...:)

      Delete