Pages

Monday, January 23, 2023

We had Some Wind.... (A Friday Walk Through The Calcite Mine Slot Canyon)

Monday, January 23, 2023

The Santa Ana Winds came in with a vengeance last night and we pulled both our slides in. Luckily we parked right and it was hitting the back of the Stinger "B" and coming up both sides so we were not rocking but it was howling. It has been with us most of the day and as I am writing this we are having periods when it is not so fierce. Fingers crossed it is a softer wind by morning. 

When we opened the front curtains this morning the mountains
to the south across the way were behind a cloud of dust.

We could still see the ones behind the badlands to the West.


The Salton Sea was behind a cloud of dust, also.

That string of lights were under the Jeep
before dark last night. 


These were our views around noon time.
Everything in the distance had disappeared in a cloud of dust.

Around 5:00PM we could see our views again.

I had just finished typing the caption below the above picture when a text came in. It was Deb wanting to know if we would like to come and visit because it was not windy where they were. Then she wrote look over the edge. Tom took his binoculars and walked to the edge to look down. Looking left he could see the Igloo nestled in a sheltered spot down below. 
Side note: Earlier when I was taking the pictures for the above collage I had seen a white truck pulling a 5th wheel below and mentioned it to Tom. Looking down with his binoculars he said I think that is Deb and Riley and I said I do not think they would come over this way in the wind but as much as I hate to admit it he was right. 
 
The sun is going down as we head down below
where we are parked.

As we are heading where our friends are parked 
looking up I can see the White Lion and on its 
right the very top of the Stinger "B".


As we sat chatting the sun dropped behind the badlands.
Starting on the left: Tom, Doug, Deb, and Riley

We are back home and I can see a sliver of the moon
above us. The wind has dropped down considerably.

When we left earlier Tom had to hold our door so I could walk out. Coming home there is just a breath of a breeze. The wind has left as quickly as it came. Coming inside we put both slides back out and after about 20 hours of the wind blowing and howling it is almost to silent. No complaints we will just enjoy the quiet.


A Walk Through the Calcite Mine Slot Canyon

Friday, January 20, 2023

Deb and Riley joined us for Coffee Hour this morning and while we chatted the decision was made to take a hike through the The Calcite Mine Slot Canyon. Doug had gone earlier in the week and said it was a nice easy hike.  We broke up and decided to come back together at 1 o'clock to take a ride and walk. At the assigned time we all got in the Jeep and with Doug giving directions we were off. Unfortunately Riley did not feel 100% and decided to stay home. 

While I was eating lunch today this was my view out the 
window. I wish the camera would pick up the blue, blue
my eyes could see in the distance.

Down a steep hill and we are riding in a wash

towards the entrance 

to the Slot Canyon.


Getting out of the Jeep we can see the entrance ahead.


Hidden away, below the Truckhaven Rocks in eastern Anza-Borrego, is a geological feature called the Calcite Mine Slot Canyon. This narrow slot canyon is unlike most other slot canyons because it is easy to get to and easy to hike.(Description found on internet and it is true.) The article mentioned a few minor boulder scrambles but for the most part it is fairly flat. 

The walk starts and you are looking up at
mudstone as it is described in the article.

There is what looks like an arch ahead but this article 
described it as a fallen column.

Deb and Doug having fun standing under the arch.

Walking along it is easy to see evidence of the water
flowing through this wash.



There is beauty in all the formations and it is hard not
to realize what a force water can be.

Tom going to check out what is behind the rock.

This was behind the rock.


There are so many different colors in 
the walls and it truly

is hard packed sand/mud.

Some of the walls are very smooth

and others rough and filled with crevices.


Tom catching up to the group.

I could see faces in a lot of the rocks.
Could that be a pirate above?


It was hard not to take picture after picture.


This is were I stopped. Not because of the narrowness
but because of the smoothness and the depth of the step.
Not because of going up but knowing I would have to come
down and that would be tricky for me.


This is also were I am going to stop with this walk in the Slot Canyon for this blog. I always seem to have a lot of pictures I want to share and since I feel like I already have a picture overload in this blog I will save the rest for the next one. 








We are glad you stopped by!
If you would like to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

10 comments:

  1. By 6:00 last night, the wind died down. Hoping it stays that way. Sounds like it was much worse where you were. Love those slot canyons, as long as there's no rain on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind left as fast as it came in and there is a lovely calm today. Would not want to be in any wash, let alone a slot canyon if there is rain on the horizon.

      Delete
  2. I’m so happy the winds died down, and so fast too. I think this spot will be a better one for us.
    Your description of the walk into the slot canyon echoed my thoughts. It was definitely fun.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree the spot you are in now does seem a lot better. It seems way more sheltered from the elements. We did have fun and the canyon was beautiful.

      Delete
  3. We have done the Calcite Mine hike a few times and love it! We had wind but not as bad as you guys, I sure hope that is the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see this hike into the slot being fun to do again. I hope that is the end of the wind for awhile, also.

      Delete
  4. Love the pictures and the tour! Love the sun going down and then you all enjoying Happy Hour! Nice that Deb and Riley moved closer to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, the wind can make our break our days. So much for keeping our hair in line!! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing I find nerve wracking is the constant howling then when it stops the silence is deafening. Plus, you are right it is not good for any type of hairstyle...lol

      Delete