Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

We Had Little Visitors This Morning

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

While we were sitting outside this morning we could hear a chirping type sound coming from the wash just in front of us and then there they were several Gambel Quail. They went running by and we were so surprised we failed to get any pictures. Then a little while later I was still sitting out and heard the noise again this time I was ready and was able to get a few pictures. (Side note: we have been parking out here in Roadrunner for several years and this is the first time we have seen Quail in this area.)

They are quick!

The most well known of the "desert quail", Gambel's are quickly identified by the topknot found atop the head of both males and females.  Located in dry regions of the southwestern United States, Gambel's quail thrive in the dry-arid regions that contain an abundance of desert shrubs. Coveys of Gambel's are more apt to run than fly! 

When they came back the second time they were up in here
and around on the ground. I could hear them but they were 
well camouflaged in here. 

Where Do Gambel’s Quails Sleep?
Gambel’s quail are unusual as they find shelter where they can sleep hidden amongst dense vegetation. Their roosting places are often a few inches or a few feet off ground level, which is unusual among quails that live in desert areas.  Using the element of camouflage, they hide in available shrubs and trees at night to sleep.

This one is in the center of the picture if you look closely 
you can see its topknot.



When I was looking for information about where they sleep I found this sad information. Though another article did say they can live up to 18 months and mentioned that in captivity the live up to 5 years. 
Rarely, if ever, does a quail die of old age. In fact, the average life span is less than 1 year. Quail are a prey species and face major sources of mortality beginning the day it is laid in the nest as an egg. On average, 70 percent to 80 percent of the nation's quail population is lost each year; this high mortality rate is off-set by large broods of wild quail. 

I did take this picture of the shadows crossing the desert
floor waiting for the sun to go down.

I also took a picture of the Sleeping Indian after the sun
had slipped behind the Dome Rock Mountains

What I did not get was a picture of the sunset for the second time in a row. Tom had faced our chairs with our backs to the sun because of the brightness; we were sitting and talking when all of a sudden I realized the light was getting dimmer around us. I stood up, turned around to see that the sun had already left our view. Oh well it is not like I have not taken and posted hundreds of sunset pictures; there will be another night.




We are glad you stopped by!
If you have time to leave a comment we would enjoy hearing from you.

8 comments:

  1. Aww that is sad about the life span of a Gamble Quail, I really like watching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I was hoping they would come back but we have not seen them again.

      Delete
  2. I was shocked at the short life span but we all fit somewhere on the food chain I suppose. Nice spot you have! Too bad those folks are parked so close. Lol. Thanks for the parking spot.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I was so surprised when I read the information about their life span. It sounds like they have a lot of enemies including humans. It is crazy you find a spot you, think it is private, and you look up and someone is pulling in to join you. We are so happy you did just that...😎

      Delete
  3. I do love to hear the quail talking to each other. Sadly, they are prey for everything in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping we would hear their chatter again this morning but no such luck.

      Delete
  4. That little quail was not easy to spot but I knew I had gotten the picture so I did the searching then I cropped to get the little one right in the center...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quail! We love them here at home!

    ReplyDelete